Why do I have duplicate sales in QuickBooks Online
Why do I receive duplicate sales in QuickBooks Online?
Details and common reasons why they occur.
Most of the times, transaction duplication can occur if orders are changed or modified after your App syncs the order to QuickBooks.
Sometimes, a simple client quote done in your Sales Management App can result in an incorrect "push" to a sale transaction to your Accounting Software.
In addition, with QuickBooks, each transaction type - estimates, sales orders, invoices, sales receipts - has it's own unique order numbering. For example, in QuickBooks, it is possible to have Sales order ABC123 and Sales Receipt ABC123.
How does App connectors prevent duplication?
Usually when a sync is run, the connector checks QuickBooks to see if a transaction already exists in QuickBooks Online by comparing the order numbers. If there's a match, the connector should skip it and not duplicate it.
That is true if the connector is correctly built and mapped. However, glitches happen, and this is when it gets ugly in your books.
If your sales are duplicated, you will pay too much income taxes and remit too much sales taxes. Ouch.
In such cases, it is highly recommended to hire a professional to fix your books. They know how to handle this correctly. Even if the cost to fix your books reaches 3500$, it will save you a lot more money in income taxes! It is well worth it.
How do I troubleshoot duplicate orders?
You could get inspired by this wise whippet dog in the image, but you might need many trials and errors ;-)
1. Your software connector, the App that makes the bridge between your Sales Management App and your Accounting Software, usually treats invoice #1 and sales receipt #1 as different orders. Ensure you mapped the connector correctly. This requires a very good understanding of accounting. You might want to consult a bookkeeper for this.
2. Ensure that order numbers haven't been changed, edited, or otherwise altered in any way during the order's lifecycle. Your staff needs a training and strict procedures.
3. Ensure that client quotes (estimates) are not synched to your Accounting Software by mapping the connector correctly. Again, a very good understanding of accounting is required and you might want to consult a bookkeeper.
4. Ensure that cancellations made in your Sales Management App are reflected (manually or automatically) in your Accounting Software.
5. If refunds are offered to clients, make sure they are synched or manually added to QuickBooks Online or your Accounting Software.
Issues persist. What should I do?
If you haven't already, contact your connector support and try to get their help. Often times these people are not in the accounting field and may not be able to do the correct setup unfortunately.
This is where we, at Onyxia Accounting, can come in line.
We fix QuickBooks Online duplicate issues such as:
●Duplicated sales transactions; ●Duplicated client payments; ●Duplicated deposits; ●Old Undeposited fund still hanging in the GL; ●Old Payments to deposit also still hanging in the GL;
●App integration gone wrong.
Contact us for a free consultation via our contact form here.